Sunday, September 27, 2020

New techniques I've learned this year!

Where I live, September is also nicknamed the month of knowledge because that's when the kids start school. I also like learning new things, so I thought it would be fun to discuss a few techniques that I've learned when making some lovely patterns this year. Of course, the patterns don't necessarily teach you how to do them, but for example Sari Nordlund is really good about linking tutorial videos for certain techniques in her patterns. Also how did people ever learn things before YouTube?

Anyway, here they are, in no particular order:

  • The crochet cast on: this one was used for the Southampton soft which I am working on right now. I never would've thought to use a crochet hook to cast on a knitting project before, luckily I have some laying around.
  • Judy's magic cast on: was used for the Fleuriste socks, which are knit toe-up. I hadn't knit toe-up socks before, so that's why I wasn't aware of this technique, but it actually makes the toe look really nice and seamless. 
  • The tubular bind off: I used this one for both of the projects I mentioned previously. Sewing through all 252 stitches of the ribbing of the Southampton soft got a bit tedious, but it does look elegant and elastic. 
  • The German twisted cast on: I used this one for the Kuiske socks after seeing it mentioned in a tutorial for the Magic Loop method. I have always done some weird method of long tail cast on where I hold two needles together - or in the case of Haapsalu lace, used a knit cast on, of course -, so I thought it would be fun to try a new way of doing it. It's pretty easy and straightforward and I will probably keep using it for socks. 
  • Which brings me to... the Magic Loop method - even though I ended up knitting the Kuiske socks on DPNs, I decided to give it a go when knitting the sleeves of the Southampton soft, and I think I've got the hang of it now. I'm not 100% sure if it's saving me time, but at least I don't have to worry about DPNs going missing :-)
  • The three needle bind off: was used for the Fleuriste cardigan and the Suolaulu sweater to connect the shoulders and I am HERE for it! Anything to avoid sewing.
So that's six new techniques I've learned this year! At the ripe old age of 34! Go me!

No comments:

Post a Comment