Saturday, May 23, 2020

Okay so my next project must be cursed or something.

Ugh. I'm a little annoyed at myself right now because I've been such an airhead again. 

The yarn I ordered yesterday arrived today and I immediately grabbed it and started casting on stitches for making the Fleuriste cardigan when I realised that the weight was all wrong! I had ordered it thinking that one skein of approximately 210 metres was 50 grams, but it is in fact 25 grams. I rushed to the craft shop in the nearest shopping centre an hour before closing to find a yarn that was the right weight and preferably also the same content as the yarn that is suggested in the pattern, Baskerville by Kettle Yarn Co. I didn't have much luck finding a fingering weight yarn in a colourway I liked, so I decided to go with Drops Flora, which is the right weight, but does not contain silk. Unfortunately Flora doesn't come in the exact same raspberry red as Kid Silk, but it does come in a colourway called petrol mix that I found really pretty. 

Here are the two yarns side by side:

I will try to return the Kid Silk, because I honestly don't know what else I would do with it. 

And as if that wasn't enough, I spent two hours knitting the hem when I realised that I had picked the wrong size (and thus, stitch number) for me. I had settled on the smallest size, but my bust and biceps are actually a bit bigger than the specs, so I should've gone with size 2, which meant I was 24 stitches short. Needles to say I ripped up the hem.

Either I'm an airhead or the knitting gods are telling me to finish up a few more items before starting a new project.

The only upside? I discovered the designer, Sari Nordlund's Youtube channel, which she mentioned in the pattern and watched her "Sweater Chronicles" playlist where she talks the viewer through the whole process of designing a sweater and writing the pattern. 





No comments:

Post a Comment