Sunday, May 17, 2020

KAL's I have participated in.

I usually start projects when something catches my eye that I really want to make, or when I want to make a present for someone, but I have also taken part in a few KAL's over the years. Knitting along with other people is fun, because you get to see everybody's progress and creativity and keep each other motivated. 

So, without further ado, here are a few things I made as part of a KAL:

1. Valentine's Day socks by Niina Laitinen:


Niina Laitinen, whom I've mentioned several times before on this blog, is a Finnish designer who has published 3 books and frequently works with Finnish yarn manufacturer Novita, creating KAL patterns for them. In the last few years, they've collaborated on a sock/stocking KAL for most bigger holidays like Valentine's Day, Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day, and of course Christmas. A piece of the pattern is published each day during a roughly 10 day period in the designated FB group where people share photos of their progress and ask for advice. The Valentine's Day KAL was the first time I became aware of Niina and I made these stockings for my cousin (who I think still hasn't worn them).

2. This baby jumper by Anniki Leppik: 


This is a cute, very quick KAL that I participated in early 2017 because the yarn shop that the designer of the jumper owns had a contest on FB where you could publish a photo of the finished work and there was a prize (some yarn I believe) for the photo with the most likes. Needless to say I didn't win.

3. These fingerless gloves: 




This would've been around the same time as the jumper and the stockings. I used leftover pink yarn from the stockings to make them. The pattern was published in two parts on a craft forum that is now unfortunately inactive. It was a quick, fun knit, and I especially like the fake cable pattern.

4. These lace socks from Niina Laitinen's Christmas KAL 2018: 


For Christmas, Niina has published two patterns in the recent years: one for long colourwork stockings that use a thicker yarn, and one for unicolour lace socks. This sock pattern is called "Sparrows" ("Varpuset") and it was part of the Christmas KAL in 2018. I couldn't bother to do the colourwork stockings that year, however...

5. Christmas stockings 2019 by Niina Laitinen:


Aren't these pretty! I even bought a pair of warm leggings for wearing in the colder weather so I could show them off. I did actually also make the lace socks last Christmas, but I don't have a picture of them because I gave them to my aunt as soon as I had finished them. 












No comments:

Post a Comment