Monday, August 10, 2020

A New Project: Fleuriste Socks.

Yesterday was Haapsalu Lace Day, a festival dedicated to showcasing the work of Haapsalu's master knitters and introducing the art of lace knitting to the general public. I was toying with the idea of going, but having to take a nearly 200 km detour to Haapsalu because there is no direct bus route between here and there (a distance of 107 km) and the fact that attending big public events may not be the greatest idea at this time deterred me from going.

Instead, I decided to have my own Lace Day and finally got the second lace edge of my Haapsalu scarf off the needles! I was too tired to start faffing about with sewing it to the middle part and blocking the scarf (yes I do own a blocking frame), but I did have enough energy to cast on these lovely pair of Fleuriste socks designed by Sari Nordlund, which uses the same basic pattern as the very lovely Fleuriste cardigan. The pattern was published as part of Sari Nordlund's summer sock KAL and although the other socks in the KAL were not exactly my cup of tea, I of course had to make these. I am using Alize Superwash and short 2.5 mm needles from KnitPro.  


This is the first time I have knit a pair of socks toe-up, and I was excited to learn a new technique for creating a seamless toe: Judy's Magic Cast-On. Can you see how seamless the toe is?!? Love that for me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment