Saturday, April 17, 2021

State of the Project: Haapsalu scarf, part V: the finale!

 Well, this was quite the journey, wasn't it?

After sitting on the lace edge and not feeling like sewing it to the centre portion since last summer, I finally finished the scarf! 

I was very worried that the yarn would snap on the blocking frame after I've spent the whole day sewing, so I actually contacted Haapsalu Lace Centre to ask if I could send the scarf to them for sewing and blocking (I know for a fact that they will block your shawl for you for a fiver), but they said they don't provide a sewing service so I had to do it myself. I had some days off recently, so I decided to just go for it. I spent the better part of last Sunday sewing and I put the scarf on the blocking frame a few days ago.

Picture with my doggie for scale: 


And a slightly closer look at how the shawl looked on the frame:


This thing is huge! It measured 130x130 centimetres. The frame I use is a collapsible and adjustable blocking frame from a local company, which you can also use for blocking rectangular and triangular shawls/scarves. The set comes with eight bars and four connectors, which I used to make four very long bars so that the scarf would fit.

Last night, I took the scarf off the blocking frame and went through all the cast-on stitches (well over a thousand!) of the lace edging with a knitting needle to make them nice and round. I then pulled on each individual scallop (of which there are something like 120) to give them a nice shape, folded the scarf, and left it to rest under a pile of pillows. 

You're actually supposed to let the scarf rest for a bit longer, but I couldn't resist the urge to take a few glamour shots this morning 😁



Why the ring, you may ask? Well, because Haapsalu lace is supposed to be so fine that you have to be able to pull the scarf or shawl through a ring.

Anywho, I am chuffed to have finally finished it and I can't wait to wear it with my red dress!



Edited: BREAKING NEWS! The lady who wrote the book that this pattern comes from just liked my photo of the scarf that I posted on Facebook. I can now die happy. 








No comments:

Post a Comment