Saturday, January 9, 2021

Final knits of 2020 and some 2021 plans.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I was actually working on the In Between Dreams pullover for my cousin when I was down South for Christmas. I had her try it on as well, and it looks like it's going to fit her okay. However, she is tall and lean, so I am going to need to make the sleeves and body longer than what the pattern recommends. This is how far I've gotten so far, give or take a few rounds: 


However, because I am anything but a monogamous knitter, I actually started another project when I got home for the few awkward work days that are between Christmas and New Year's: the BriocheSis hat by local designer Raina Kruus. I had seen it in the latest issue of Käsitöö magazine and I couldn't get it out of my head, it is just so pretty! So when I had a two hour stopover in our second largest town as I was traveling from down South to my home on the west coast, I went to the local yarn shop and got a few skeins of Lana Gatto Misina and cast on that same night. I will say that it was a bit fiddly for me and I did have to rip back a few times. I ended up finishing it during the last minutes of 2020: I was actually weaving in the ends as I was watching our President give her New Year's address before the stroke of midnight! I am happy with how it turned out and also happy that I now have something to keep my ears warm: 


I will say, however, that I thought it was a bit cheeky that the pattern in the magazine just said to 'use method 1' when knitting the row with the MC and 'use method 2' when knitting the row with the CC and then 'use method 4' (I think?) for a 5-to-1 decrease without explaining how to actually do it and referring the reader to the previous issue for a more thorough explanation of two-coloured brioche. I mean, I did actually have the previous issue on hand and that explanation was well written, but I think a pattern should be able to stand on its own. Anyway. Loved the hat. 

So what projects do I have planned for this year? I'm glad you asked. 
I still have to finish: 
- I need to just get my shit together and sew that damn lace edge to my Haapsalu scarf and block it
- the Wayne pullover - though I have admit that one is starting to look more and more like an UFO rather than a WIP

And of course I already have plans for casting on new things: 
- I already have the yarns for making the Ekorre sweater by Anna Johanna and I'm actually chomping at the bit to make it.
- I want to make a triangular Haapsalu scarf, for example one of the patterns from this new book, Siiri Rätid 2 // Triangular Knitted Shawls by Siiri Reimann which, of course, I've already acquired.
- I want to knit something from linen for the summer, though I don't know what it is yet.

Plus I have a lot of stash that I need to find some use for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment