Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Stash busting knits

I've been watching a lot of Finnish knitting podcast videos on YouTube lately and found a few projects which not only look cool, but also have the added benefit of me being able to use yarns that I already own. 

The first project, which I already cast on tbh, is the Syyslaulu shawl by Heidi Alander. I had been trying to find a use for my Aade Lõng Artistic yarns and thinking of turning one of them into a shawl, but I hadn't found a pattern that I liked until I saw Iina from Neulenojatuoli mention it as one of  her WIPs. It is a really simple pattern: mainly garter stitch with a lace edge, and the size can be easily adjusted. I have already made pretty good progress and I think it will be a worthy replacement for my emo scarf. I am also loving the colour gradient of the yarn!

The second project is the Ekorre sweater by Anna Johanna. I saw the word Ekorre mentioned in one of Anna Johanna's IG stories - perhaps in a photo from a subscriber that she had shared - and was instantly intrigued, because ekorre means 'squirrel' in Swedish and I am a huge fan of squirrels. Needless to say, I found the pattern with the acorns and the squirrels and the oak leaves super cute and I am all about top-down seamless sweaters these days, so I think I will get to work on it as soon as I finish the Skärgård sweater for my mom. My plan is to use the Artistic yarn in the colourway Sheep as the main colour and then use the one and half skeins of rust-coloured Drops Nord which were left over from my Southampton soft for the pattern. The gradient of the Sheep colourway does go pretty deep, but the it is still pretty muted and I think the fall orange of the Nord yarn creates a good contrast without either of the colours being overly loud. 

The third project is the Suolaulu mittens by Jenna Kostet, which use a motif from her Suolaulu sweater. My plan is to make these and give them as a present to a lady from work. The pattern calls for fine fingering weight + lace weight yarn held together and I think I have the perfect combo: the red yarn from Rauma Finull which I ordered when I was picking out the perfect shade of red for the Suolaulu sweater - this one is more of a true red than a cranberry red, but that's ok - and the one, used raspberry red skein of Drops Kid-Silk which I couldn't send back when I stupidly ordered the wrong thickness yarn to make the Fleuriste cardi. As for the contrasting colour, I'm not too keen to buy a new skein of lace weight yarn to add to a light fingering weight yarn (or to faff about with four balls of yarn tbh), so I thought of using a natural white skein of Drops Karisma which is sport weight and which I have laying around in my drawer. 




No comments:

Post a Comment