Thursday, July 15, 2021

Buying yarn and knitting are two different hobbies.

 Ooff. 

As much as I try to be smart with money, I cannot resist a beautiful yarn/pattern and I've been really bad about hoarding yarn recently. Let's just count the losses, shall we?

  • After posting about the Summer Nights cami on r/knitting, I was scrolling Reddit and happened on someone's photo of this absolutely stunning lace dress. I decided that I need to make one for myself as well and spent the next hours hemming and hawing over which yarn to use for making it.I initially settled on Austermann Magic Silk in a teal colourway and placed an order, but when I got the yarn, it just didn't feel right for the project. So last night I decided to bite the bullet and order a new yarn, BC Garn Jaipur Silk Fino, which is a very luxe 100% mulberry silk yarn and costs over twice as much as the Austermann. My dream is to have the dress ready by this year's Haapsalu Lace Day, which is on the 22nd of August, but considering the speed at which I knit lace, I think aiming for next year would probably be more realistic.
  • Since I finished the summer tops, I restarted work on the Sulo cardigan for my aunt and to my surprise, I ran out of yarn before getting to the end of the body. So I ordered some more Drops Merino Extra Fine for the cardigan, but because Drops recently also came out with the gorgeous Soft Tweed yarn, I just had had had to get some skeins of that one as well. 
  • And yes, I still have four skeins of Schachenmayr Catania in the colourway Sand. 
What am I going to do with all this yarn? Well, I have a few ideas. I'm thinking I will use the Austermann Magic Silk to make the Kevätaurinko shawl designed by Niina Laitinen, as I have enough of the yarn and getting the gauge exactly right doesn't matter that much anyway. The original pattern used alpaca yarn, but mine will be a more summery version. The Soft Tweed is just asking to become a cabled sweater. And the Catania will make another lovely summer top next year.

Having said all that, I am quickly running out of drawer space for my stash 😆



No comments:

Post a Comment